As far as research can ascertain, it is believed that Collierville has had three depots. The first was built in 1852 and believed to have been located on the north side of the railroad tracks between Center and Walnut Streets. The Battle of Collierville was centered around this depot where Sherman's train arrived from Memphis around noon on Sunday, October 11, 1863. The second depot was located where Center Street now crosses the tracks. In the mid 1940's the existing depot was moved from LaGrange and located east of Center Street on the north side of the railroad. In 1976 Southern Railroad gave the depot to the Town of Collierville and it was moved to its present location in 1977. Today it serves as the Tourism Center for the Town of Collierville.
Confederate Park has a colorful past. Tradition has it that the Irby and Leake families gave the land on which the park is built to the town soon after its incorporation in 1870. The sidewalks in the park are laid out in the form of a Confederate flag. In 1955 a tornado destroyed the two-story lattice bandstand in the park. A 1994 public improvements project replaced the bandstand. Today the park is used for social, political and religious functions. Each summer Main Street Collierville hosts the "Sunset on the Square" concert series every Thursday evening in June and July with the exception of the week of July 4th.
This log cabin was used as the Collierville area's stagecoach stop for many years in the mid- to late 1800's. According to a date on the chimney, it was built in 1851 by William W. Talley, it was once located at Byhalia Road and south Rowlett on property now occupied by Delta Beverage/Pepsi Cola Bottling Company. This log structure was relocated and restored in 1977 with grants from the National Can Corporation and the Mississippi-Arkansas-Tennessee Corporation. Approximately 95% of the logs of the present building are from the original property.
Collierville United Methodist Church
The first Methodist Church in Collierville was built in 1851 at Poplar and North Main Street. Services were held there until a new lot was purchased at the corner of North Rowlett and Center Street. The present building was erected in 1900. The education annex, located at the south side of the main sanctuary building, was completed in 1950. The stained glass windows, vaulted ceiling, altar rail, and choir loft remain as constructed in 1900. The Church continues in use today.
This building, constructed in 1879 by T.J. Morris, was used as a lumber and hardware business named McGinnis Hardware. Today the building is home to Dixie Pickers, a unique men's store which carries hunting, fishing equipment, menswear, shoes, vintage picks and sports memorabilia.
This building originally was constructed in 1897 and housed Thomson's Saloon; later it was the original location of People's Bank. The bank was relocated in 1948 and Collierville Insurance Agency occupied the building from 1948 to 1956.
Square Beans Coffee
For many years in the early 1900's, this building on Center Street was used as a first class barbershop. Here the prestigious men of Collierville came for a shave in the morning and a haircut when necessary. Charlie Johnson operated it. Later, Memphis Light-Gas-Water Division established an office and remained here until the office was moved to Winchester Road in Memphis.
Parr Investment Building
Built in 1876, this building was first owned by the Hinton family. In 1900 Dr. J.C. Parr bought this building and opened a dental office upstairs. In the mid-1920's, W.D. Parr, his son, joined in the dental office and practiced for 60 years. In 1972, after serving in the Air Force, W.D.'s son entered the practice for a short time. In part of the second floor, Mrs. Parr operated the Paris Studio where photographs were taken of Collierville citizens. Downstairs was a silent movie theatre. Later, in the 1940's, Willard Ewing had a furniture and appliance store here. He had the first television set in Collierville.
Kelsey Properties & Hewlett & Dunn Jean & Boot Barn
The Hewlett and Dunn building was originally known as Hinton and Craig and was built in 1876. The owners were Sam Hinton and Will Craig. Later the business became known as Hinton and Hutton. It has operated under the name of Hewlett and Dunn for the last 40 years. Kelsey Properties is a part of the original building. In the 1960's the building was divided into two smaller stores. Kelsey's facade is a unique architectural style for the Collierville square.
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
The cornerstone of St. Andrew's was laid on April 22, 1890. The church's architecture is Gothic revival. The original bell, made by McNeely Bell Co. in New York in 1891, is still in use. The thirteen medallions in the stained glass windows are of French origin and all have deep blue backgrounds with red borders. They were manufactured in the 1800's. All the stained glass windows, including the one above the altar and the one above the door, were part of the original construction. St. Andrew's seats 120.
Simply Done Catering and Events
In 1844 a group of Presbyterians organized Salem Church, which was located two miles south of Collierville on Byhalia Road. In 1886 the congregation built this church. Its architecture is heavily influenced by what is known as the Stick-Style. The building retains its stained glass windows and hardwood floors. It now serves as an event space for parties, meetings and receptions as well as a catering company.
W.W. McGinnis (1875-1959) built this home as his private residence. He was a master builder and built many homes in Collierville and the surrounding area that are still standing today. In addition he built the first Germantown High School in 1912. It was relocated where the present Germantown High is now.
Built in 1935, this building was originally constructed as a Toddle House-style eatery, later becoming a tavern. It was operated as a barbershop until 1996. In February 1998, a branch office of Bank Tennessee was opened.
This building was constructed in 1938 by W. W. McGinnis. Its use as a beauty salon recently changed when it became a photography studio.
Jack Anna Beanstalk
Built in 1939, this building was at one time Collierville's Post Office. Later uses include a television repair shop, country crafts store, antique shop and home to Collierville's own "Town Square Cats." Jack Anna Beanstalk sells children's clothing, toys, books and gifts.
The Brooks Collection
This building was originally constructed in 1916. Kelsey Brothers Mercantile Store was located on the ground floor and the local telephone exchange occupied the second floor. It later housed a dry cleaners, an antique mall and is now a unique gift and garden shop.
William Craig Hall/Attorney at Law
This location originally housed businesses dating back to 1875 and included such establishments as Cox Brothers, Ballard Grocery, Haynes & Waller and Farley & Waller; also First National Bank in the 1980's. It served as Town Square Antiques Mall until recently.
Town Square Antiques Mall
Dating back to the late 1800's, this building at one time housed Roach's Millinery, Sammons Furniture, and an expansion of First National Bank.
This building was constructed as a drugstore ca. 1900. The pharmacist was J. W. Swoope. It was later operated by Tom Ruch. He and his family occupied living quarters in the back of the store. This restaurant on the Town Square serves plate lunches, sandwiches, and salads and has a full dinner menu.
Built ca. 1890, this building was used as a grocery store. It was owned and operated by Armstead Dodson. It remained empty for several years. The second building was erected in about 1890 by J.M, Mann and son. They operated a grocery store and farm furnishing business for many years. An extensive historic renovation took place in the fall of 1992. Today the store has a bridal registry and baby boutique with antiques and decorative accessories.
Dee LaRue Designs
Originally constructed ca. 1890, this building was used as a drugstore. This was the first location of Harrell Drug Store, which later moved a few doors down the block. This store has antiques and furnishings for gracious interiors.
The Silver Caboose
This building was constructed in 1890, but it is not known what business originally operated here. In 1920 it was known as Biggs and Dudney Grocery Store. After the 1944 fire, it was rebuilt as an auto shop. You are invited inside to relive the past by having an old-fashioned soda or milkshake at the antique soda fountain as well as daily lunch specials, plate lunches, salads, sandwiches and homemade cakes, pies and cobblers.
Side Car Market
Originally built in the late 1890's. this building was partially destroyed in the fire of 1944. It was built specifically for a grocery store. For almost thirty years the Golden Rule Five and Dime Store occupied it. Stop inside for gourmet food sales, home made pies and casseroles.
Though partially destroyed in 1944 by a fire and a tornado in 1955, this building was rebuilt after each tragedy. It was recently renovated to reflect a full-fledged, old-fashioned jewelry store.
Camp and Trail Outfitters
This building was constructed in 1945 as Stamps Motor Co., an Oldsmobile and GMC truck dealer. It replaced the original stamps Motor Co. Garage & Service Station, which burned on July 22, 1944.
Morton Museum of Collierville History
The present structure was built in 1871 and replaced an earlier church building which was constructed in 1868. The church was remodeled in 1906. The Collierville Christian Church was organized due to the Nonconnah Church disbanding immediately after the Civil War. The remaining members of that church became charter members of this one. A new Christian Church was built on New Byhalia Road in 1992.
In earlier times the building housed the Collierville Post Office. Robert DeLoach was the Postmaster in 1924. Most recently it was the home of The Collierville Herald and another business. It has been extensively renovated and now serves as a fine dining restaurant serving french cuisine fused with southern comfort.
Fire Station Number One
This is the location of one of the oldest buildings in town. It was originally constructed in the 1880's. In the 1920's it housed a blacksmith shop; in the 1940's Strong's Flower Shop was located here. It has been the fire station since about 1946.
Banyan Tree Realtors
This building was constructed in 1922 and was the original Town Hall (which moved in 1963). The jail was added in 1938. Some of the jail bars are still visible today. Banyan Tree Realtors is a full-service realty firm specializing in residential real estate (old and new), farms, land and historic properties in West Tennessee and North Mississippi.
City Hall Cheesecake
Constructed in the late 1800's, this building became the first location of The Citizens Bank of Collierville. In 1917 the First State Bank and Trust Company opened in this building. The name was officially changed to The Citizens Bank in 1927 and remained in this location until 1971.
Sass it Up
Built in the 1880's by the great-grandfather and grandfather of Mrs. Elizabeth Parr, this building housed a general store known as Stratton and Humphreys. This store burned and the lot was vacant for a period of time. Mr. Paul Baker had W.W. McGinnis construct the present building. Businesses have included a drug store, Kroger grocery store, and a dry cleaners which was established by a Mr. Martin from Grand Junction. Today it houses a women and children's clothing store.
Built ca. 1895-1900, this is the original location of Fleming;s Stable. In 1928 it became Kelsey Chevrolet company and later was well known as Kelsey Department Store. In the early 1980's John Green established his realty company here. It is now a personal training and therapy business.
McGinnis Service Station
The Wiley W. McGinnis family constructed this building in 1927 as a service station. In 1939 it also became the office for McGinnis Oil Company, a distributor for Sinclair Petroleum products. It is still in use today as a service station operated by his great-grandsons Bill and Jim Cox.
Originally one building at 92 North Main, this was the town's first motion picture theatre (movie house) and was operated here in 1928-29 by Paul N. Wilson. In the early 1930's, it was divided into two stores: a beauty shop and Paul Wilson Company General Merchandise. In the 1940's The Collierville Herald was in 92 North Main.
Fabric By The Square
This building was best known as The White Cafe in the late 1920's. It featured steaks, chops, and chicken. In the 1950's it became a heating & air-conditioning business, and later became offices, then a gift shop.
In earlier times the building housed the Collierville Post Office. Robert DeLoach was the Postmaster in 1924. Later it became Collierville Cash Grocery whose motto was: "Trade With Us If It Kills You, We need the Money." Step inside to purchase olive oils, vinegars, spices and gifts. Bazaar also hosts cooking demonstrations with local cooks and chefs.
Located near the Depot is a steam engine, built in 1912 for the Frisco Railroad; and executive rail car, "The Savannah," built in 1915; and a caboose which is typical of freight train cars for all railroad lines.
The engine, No. 1351, weighs approximately 230 tons. Among many other duties, it pulled troop trains during World War II. No. 1351 was retired in 1952 and spent many years at the Memphis Fairgrounds and the Defense Depot. This engine is on loan to the Collierville community through the generosity of Pat Plemmons and the Memphis Transportation Museum.
Executives of the Seaboard Railway used "The Savannah." The interior is virtually intact with minimal alterations to the 1915-era construction. "The Savannah" was designed for the comfort and convenience of the railroad executives as they traveled the lines. It includes two suites, dining room, kitchen, observation room, valet's room, and crew's quarters.
The caboose is an excellent example of the type of rail car used by the crew of the train. A caboose such as this was vital to the safety of the train and crew, and was attached to the rear of the train.